ZEYΣ ΕΛΑΥΝΩΝ


Δευτέρα 2 Ιουλίου 2018

What makes a good commander?


What soldier doesn't remember his or her commander and their influence they had on them? Three commanders from different brigades shared their vision of a what a “good commander” is- one that is ready to give their all for their soldiers. Between personal stories, military ethics, and unique experiences, these commanders help shape those who protect Israel and its civilians.
Lieutenant Dan is a platoon commander in the Haruv Battalion- the Kfir Brigade’s elite unit.
“I started my service in the Paratroopers Brigade in 2014 and after completing Officer’s Course, I had the opportunity to be one of the first commanders in the new, elite Haruv Battalion,” he tells.


Being a commander and an officer was something natural for him to be. Lt. Dan explains with emotion and conviction the reasons why he wanted to give more to the IDF:
“A good commander is one who knows how to turn his soldiers into the best version of themselves,” he explains. “I’ve had extraordinary commanders who had a lot of influence on me and who’ve touched me emotionally, and I’ve seen how they’ve changed the lives of soldiers around me. I wanted to follow their example.

Some of his soldiers decided to follow his path, and are now officers too.
"It's very special to receive civilians, to mold them into soldiers, then fighters, and lastly, commanders. It's a very significant, full cycle,” exclaims Lt. Dan.
He goes on to explain the importance he places on the balance in his command tactics- between treating his troops as soldiers and human beings. "A good commander knows how to see his soldiers as people who have dreams and wounds- who’re human beings. Sometimes you have to know how to talk to your soldiers, not as a commander with a rank, but as a human who can also understand them."
For Lieutenant Pavel, deputy commander of the Keter Company within the Military Police, the motivation for being an officer came from a special moment. "I didn’t want to join the army and even less-so when I knew where I was going to enlist. I didn't know what the Military Police was. Then at the recruitment center, I met an officer named Lior who told me what the Military Police really was. She explained everything to me as if she were my mother and made me realize the importance of this job,” he recalled with nostalgia.
Lt. Pavel knows that his efforts contribute to Israel's security. "The soldiers of the Military Police protect Israeli civilians day after day by thwarting any attempt or illegal passage of arms into Israel.” When Lt. Pavel joined the Military Police and saw for himself the importance of this post, its challenges, and responsibilities, he wanted to go to Officers Course. "I really wanted to make a positive impact on people like Lior did with me," he says.
But Lt. Pavel knows now that his position as deputy commander of the whole Keter Company is much more important than what he thought initially. "What’s hard is to receive soldiers and train them in a very short time to be operational combat soldiers. Lt. Pavel has been deputy commander for a year and a half and explains that the most important part of his position is to show interest in his soldiers, to be responsible for them, and to take care of their well-being- not only on base but also outside of base.
Lieutenant Michal commands the Tagat course on the Michve Alon base. This six-month course enables soldiers without a highschool diploma to receive one after passing courses in six different subjects.
"What I like most about this job is working with people. “In addition to the command and operational side of the things, I take care of education here and this combined really gives me something incredible. The soldiers who are in the Tagat course have dropped out of high school, so we have to find a way to motivate them to return to a school setting where they sit in a chair and listen to a class- which is exactly what these soldiers ran away from to begin with.”
"When you're here, you have to give your all. Being a commander also means paying attention to soldiers. I must be responsible for the people who’re under my command. It's important to be careful that the framework I manage is the best possible kind. "
Lt. Michal has understood that despite her responsibilities, she sees that what she gives to her soldiers and the values she teaches them every day have borne fruit. "At the beginning of my service I was a commander at the Havat Hashomer base. Then, when I became a company commander, I was assigned to the Michve Alon base. I had soldiers in the Tagat course, who had previously been under my command at the beginning of their service at the Havat Hashomer base. I really felt that it gave me closure. I was with them at the beginning of their service, when they didn’t believe in themselves at all and then I find them at the end of their service here. When I saw how much they had matured, I felt that I had really closed a circle. It’s so satisfying!"
Dan, Pavel, Michal... Every day, these officers are responsible for IDF soldiers. They instill in them the values of the army in the best possible way. By combining the social, educational, and operational side, in addition to making them aware of the importance of their work, these officers train those who protect us daily and risk their lives for the security of the country.



Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: